Followers

Library Lady

Yahoo! Avatars U.K. & Ireland

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Substituting

I was not feeling well Friday and I actually considered leaving school early. I stayed even though the kids thought I should just leave. Well, when I went to the office to mail off an Ill, one of the teachers was in the office talking to the lady that is in charge of getting subs. Needless to say, the teacher came to the library and asked me to please watch her class because her brother was in the hospital and she needed to leave. Of course I said yes. But upon furthering the conversation, it was revealed that her brother was expected to be released very soon and was not in any danger. I wondered why she couldn't just wait another hour and a half. But because she said there were only eight students and that they were very good, I didn't renege on my word. She said all they needed to do was get on the computer to finish their PowerPoint and that she would call the library and speak with them personally to make sure they were on their best behaviour. She never called.When the lady that was in charge of getting subs brought her class roster over I noticed there were 14 names on the list. When the bell rang, unfortunately for me, they all showed up. Only one student worked on the PowerPoint. All other students were successful in their quest to make that hour and a half a living nightmare. They wanted to sing, dance, rap, wonder aimlessly over the library, yell at people in the hall, use their electronic devices,etc. I acutally had to get security several times. Even though they came in and talked with the students, the bad behaviour continued. I left the teacher a detailed note. I don't think I have ever been happier to hear the bell sound in my teaching career.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Betty, we often get dumped on as librarians because some folks perceive us as not having anything to do...other than check out books. I hope you are feeling much better and that you have a very restful Thanksgiving week off. - Angela